Pagan rock is a genre of music that incorporates the darker elements of traditional and folk music, especially Celtic music, by blending it with the synthesizer heavy dark wave, ethereal, ambient, trip-hop, etc. or more guitar driven industrial, goth rock, post-punk, and death rock. In either case, pagan rock is almost always differentiated from other goth rock by a stronger emphasis on minor keys and the use of a tribal beat. The overall effect is usually more hypnotic and earth based than goth rock.
Lyrically, pagan rock rejects the Christian religious symbolism common in goth rock and replaces it with the neopagan themes of mythology, the occult, magick, reincarnation, neopagan deities, spirits, etc. Pagan rock also replaces the nihilism inherent in goth rock with the more hopeful themes of spiritual freedom, release, escape or ascension.
Pagan rock was originally coined as a term to describe the music of British band Inkubus Sukkubus, and has since been applied to the works of Dead Can Dance, Switchblade Symphony, Skeletal Family, Faith and the Muse, etc. and to a lesser extent The Crüxshadows.
The musical element of the genre description has sometimes been ignored, and the term has sometimes been applied to any rock band with extensively paganistic lyrics.
- Serpentine Music - Extensive catalog of Pagan music, plus some books, videos, and spoken word selections.
- Beyond the Veil - Songs for the ancient Goddess and God and songs of love, grief and becoming.
- Circle Of Souls - Online pagan radio broadcast site, also featuring pagan forums, IRC chat portal, pagan news, and webcam portal.
- Earth Tones Studios - A pagan recording label, catalog, and online store.
- The Epic of Gilgamesh - A musical interpretation of the Epic of Gilgamesh performed by a group of musicians, artists and scholars from around the world. MP3s available.
- Pagan Broadcast Network - Online radio station with music and programming of interest to Pagans.
- Pagan Rock On The Web - Music reviews, news, and information on the best in Pagan rock and roll.
- Songs For Earthlings - Celebrate the Earth and all things thereon with 433 songs, chants, rounds and hymns.
- Yuletide Songs - Familiar Christmas tunes with Pagan lyrics.
- Point Of Ares - Progressive rock group with a hard metallic edge. Thir lyrics have a mystical esoteric edge backed by an over-the-top stage production.
- Wiccabilly Circus - Homepage of Loke E. Coyote, a Pagan boogie band.
- Angelle and Universal Joint - A classic alternative folk-rock band whose members and music are dedicated to the perpetuation of positive energies everywhere.
- Bardic Arts - Damh the Bard - Damh the Bard is a Pagan musician from the Druid tradition, poet, and storyteller, who write songs about the myths and Spirits of the Land.
- Buffalo Strange Headquarters - Homepage of Tampa, Florida band Buffalo Strange.
- Cedar Moon - Cedar Moon, a Northwest band, celebrates the mystery and magic of the living Earth with a dance/trance groove infused blend of tribal rock.
- Changes - Folk music related to paganism. Site includes sound clips, CD descriptions and band information.
- The Craft - Official Homepage - Hereford UK Pagan rock band.
- DJ Rain - Los Angeles House DJ from Vibe Tribe Productions with a distinctive style informed by pagan and shamanic influences.
- Elaine Silver - "'Faerie Elaine' brings magic, light and love to her concerts and appearances as she continues her reign as 'Folk Music Queen of New Jersey.'"
- Elvendrums - Songs about the magic of the faerie realm. The music fits no genre, but creates one of its own.
- Four Winds Earth Chorus - An interfaith volunteer cooperative dedicated to sacred sound and rhythm of Earth-honoring people and exploring the Bardic Path.
top of the page